The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands State Epidemiological Workgroup (SEW) was established in 2008 to develop an epidemiological profile of the CNMI. The development of this profile was partly supported with funds from SAMHSA’s Strategic Prevention Framework State Incentive Grant (SPF-SIG) in March 2007. The intent of the grant is to develop capacity, through collaborative partnership, toward a systematic collection, analyses, and reporting of relevant data on substance abuse consumption and consequences.
Mission: Is to help strengthen the quality of data availability for the CNMI Substance Abuse Prevention programs and activities.
- Secure sustainable funding to support SEW work through grants and leverage resources.
- Train staff, SEW members, advisory council members, policy makers and stakeholders on the purpose and operation of SEW.
- Develop indicators on the consequences, consumption and prevalence of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs.
- Identify sources and reliability of data for each indicator.
- Publish EPI Profile every 2 years.
Glenn H. Mangolona, SEW Chairperson
Jess Aguon, SEW Data Manager
Tanya Camacho, Northern Marianas College
Lynette Sablan, Alcohol Beverage & Tobacco Control, Department of Commerce
Wil Rospel, Commonwealth Healthcare Corporation Vital Stats
Vince Castro, Director of Kagman Community Health Center
Edward Diaz, HSPO Director
Francine Nekai, Department of Finance, Customs
Bill Rathburn, Department of Public Safety Network Manager
John Cruz, Director of Criminal Justice Planning Agency
John Hosono, Department of Commerce
SEW Rota: Thomas D. Mendiola, Chair; Dean Manglona, Northern Marianas College; Avery Hocog; Evelyn Mendiola, Northern Marianas College; Benedict San Nicholas
SEW Tinian: Sonna Decena, Chair; Martha Borja, Department of Commerce; Vina Hofschneider, Mayor’s Office; Keith Nabors, Division of Public Health; Wally Villagomez, Department of Public Safety
For more information, contact